Monday 20 May 2013

The Lives We Save

“It’s not about the lives you can’t save, it’s about the one’s you can”  -Katrina Haining

This is quote that I stand by in my day to day life. I worked at a Pet Store for 5 years of my life and many people would leave animals outside our building hoping we could find them a home. In reality, we weren’t allowed to take strays and sell them. It was against company policy. When we found these poor animals (cats mostly) we would have to take them to the shelter where they may or may not find a home. This was not okay with me. I could not take a cat and leave it without knowing what would happen to it. Instead, I would take the cat home with me until I could find it a new, permanent, home. Luckily, I knew a lot of people that lived on acreages that were always happy to have a new furry friend.


Here is my cute and eccentric best friend, Razzle. I rescued her almost 4 years ago from the parking lot I described earlier. She was probably 5 weeks old and was lucky we found her. She was in the loading dock of another building in the same shopping center. It took 4 of us to catch her and she was terrified. I knew that our store couldn’t keep her, and they told me that she was now my responsibility.  I called my mom and asked to keep her. She said no. I was torn with what to do because I just knew that she was meant to be my cat. So I brought her home anyways. I put her in the basement and waited for the wrath of my parents. They came home and I took them to meet her. I was just hoping they would fall for her charm the way I did. My dad’s exact words were “she has certain enduring qualities.” It was that moment that she became my cat. 4 years later we have now moved out into our own apartment and she remains to be a constant joy in my life.
 
We shouldn’t lose sleep over trying to save every animal. Instead, we should think about how we can try to make a difference to the life of one.
This is Maple she is the puppy I helped my parents adopt from the SPCA a few months ago.
 
Whose life have you had a positive impact on? Comment here or post pictures on Herbivore's  facebook page!

 
 
 

1 comment :

  1. Well kiddo, even though you didn't listen to us (your Mom and me) you definitely have your own beliefs. You are smart, kind, intelligent, knowledgeable and you have tremendous fortitude. I am very proud of you. The world is a better place because of you. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete